It’s UP! My first BLOG!

The problem with sight is the fact that our eyes behold something yet our mind does the interpreting. I feel that all of us see the same exact things yet the way in which our mind works produces the differences in our perception. Emerson says that our existence is a “train of moods”, that our mind puts us in different modes that interpret what we see and experience. The subject of how we see things doesn’t seem to fit, the reason for this is because our mood and state changes and with this change we see a change in what we see. Let’s take a look at an example, lets have an individual in two drastically polar moods and expose them to an image or to a scene, set these two scenarios at different moments in time but under the same conditions. We will see a difference in what the individual sees and not because of the fact that the image is different will the results be different but because the state in which the mind is in alters what the individual sees. Turner paints images of what he sees after looking into the sun, he gives us the after image and we see the affect that it has on the traditional idea of the horizon. In Turner’s snow storm we see how the perception of Turner’s vision distorts what a traditional landscape would show, by changing the horizon from what was the standard up to then. Crary’s study about the after image of what people see after looking into the sun is to subjective for my taste, this is my blog I want to state what I believe. People looking at the same object from two different points theoretically see two different things but that isn’t true, they are seeing the same thing. The fact is that no matter where they look at it from it’s existence is the same, it hasn’t changed simple the perspective has. Human perspective though should not alter reality, simple because we see or don’t see something doesn’t mean that the existence of that item has altered. Staring into the sun and viewing the after image doesn’t generate a different perspective or way to look at the sun, it actually hinders the perception of reality and ultimately makes you blind. Crary also speaks about the modernization of vision, but that again to me seems to be a falsehood, I don’t believe vision has modernized or Turner modernized or did not modernize vision, I believe that our perception and interpretation has become modernized and changed.

One Response to It’s UP! My first BLOG!

1. Dominique says:

Tim,

Can you say more about what it would mean for our perception or interpretation to have become more “modern” rather than vision itself becoming modernized? (Is Crary actually arguing that the way physiological vision works has changed? I think you two might be able to find common ground after all…)

Also, see this moment from James “Stream of Thought,” which Tommy cited in a more recent blog post: “The grass out of the window now looks to me the same green in the sun as in the shade, and yet a painter would have to paint one part of it dark brown, another part bright yellow, to give its real sensational effect…The sameness of the things is what we are concerned to ascertain; and any sensations that will assure us of that will probably be considered in a rough way to be the same with each other.”
    Might the sensational effect of seeing a particular thing in a single moment and our more consistent, conscious perception of it both work together to produce a reality?

(4/4)